top of page


   Everest Base Camp










This trip was originally planned as an expedition to climb Mount Everest for the second time and also to attempt 'Lhotse', the fourth highest mountain in the world, standing at 8516M/27,939FT. The routes are the same to the South Col and the goal was to try and summit both back to back, in under 24 hours. On April 18th, tragedy struck. There was a huge avalanche in the Khumbu Icefall, as a serac brole off from an icebulge high up on Everest's Western shoulder. It tragically killed 16 Sherpa who were climing in the Icefall at the time, of which 5 were from our team. Out of respect to those who died, our team decided not to continue the expedition. As a consequence, the Khumbu Icefall became closed to climbers that Spring and nearly every team headed home.


In memory of our friends that died:

Nima Sherpa from Thak Sindu*
Mingma Nuru Sherpa from Phurte*
Ang Tshering Sherpa from Thamo*
Tenzing Chottar Sherpa from Yelajung*
Dorjee Sherpa from Tarnag*
Pasang Karma Sherpa from Juving
Phurba Ongyal Sherpa from Khumjung
Lakpa Tenjing Sherpa from Khumjung.
Chhiring Ongchu Sherpa from Khumjung
Dorji Sherpa from Namche
Dorjee Khatri from Lelep, Taplejung
Phur Temba Sherpa from Yaphu, Sankhuwasabha
Asman Tamang from Sotang
Ankaji Sherpa from Makalu, Sankhuwasabha
Ash Bahadur Gurung from Laprak, Gorkha
Pem Tenji Sherpa from Choksam,
(* indicates the Sherpa who worked for Alpine Ascents, our expedition organiser).





April 2014



APRIL 2015

With the tragedy of the 2014, Khumbu Icefall avalanche now a year behind us, it was time to return back to Everest Base Bamp with the team and make an attempt to climb Lhotse once again, standing at 8516M/27,939FT.  The start to the climbing season couldn't have been more perfect. The Icefall was in the best shape that it had ever been in, with a new direct route up through the centre and away from the Western shoulder, that created the avalanche the year before.  Our team had just returned back down to Base Camp for some rest, from our first acclimatisation schedule up to Camp 1, while 140 other climbers had ascended up to Camps 1 and 2 on their rotations. Tragedy then struck once again. On April 25th, an earthquake of magnitude 7.8 rocked throughout Nepal, hitting Everest Base Camp hard. The earthquake triggered several large avalanches on and around the mountain. One avalanche though, originating on the nearby peak of 'Pumori', swept into South Base Camp and wiped out many expedition tents, reportedly killing 22 people who were in its path.  Our team thankfully, were caught on the very edge of the avalanche and we were hit by the wind blast, but luckily had no casualties. As a result of the Icefall being closed once again, no-one climbed Everest or Lhotse in the Spring of 2015. The first time in 41 years.

bottom of page